Which language to write code and comments in can sometimes come up as a question in countries where English isn't the native language.
There's both good and bad things with doing this, and I thought I'd list a few thoughts about it.
The bad things about writing code and comments in your own language is:
- People that don't speak the language can't easily work with the system. This involves both professionals moving to a foreign country and concerning outsourcing.
- There will always be mix of languages involved. Any external libraries/frameworks/components will use a different language.
- Any characters not present in the English language will have to be converted somehow. If there's no match, this can lead to various translations.
The good things about using your own language is:
- You might have an easier time with your ubiquitous language. Speaking in a mixture of languages or trying to translate could lead to misunderstandings and loss of important distinctions.
- You might use less time finding the correct words.
Did I forget anything obvious? What do you think?